The M1911 as a tactical trainer;
I've had this gun for exactly 6 months and 10 days and I have to say I've put it through the ringer. You have to understand my needs that I had in using this gun. I use this gun 95% of the time of tactical training. The other 5% I actually have gas loaded in it.
I would have liked to use it live fire more but after buying two new magazines, the gas release valve would always stick or something about 4 or 5 shots into the mag, and would release all the gas. On the rare occasion that it didn't do that, the fps would drop off dramaticallly as the shots rang out. And after about 7 shots it was useless, could be a good thing, considering single stack .45 are tipically 7 to 8 round mags standard, but all the same this is a defect. I am not sure, but I think this problem may be my fault. I use propane and when I first got it I didn't know about mixing silicone. So for months I put strait propane through this gun. Now had I put properly mixed gas though this, maybe it would have functioned perfectly.
With that said, all I can really talk about is the structural quality of the product. Like I said, i use this gun mostly for tactical training. In combination with Magpul Dynamics, this has been a great stand in for a real-steel pistol. I have done no joke, probably at least 10,000 reloads and equal if not more slide racks. Each and every time dropping the hammer. I have dropped this thing on concrete and dirt alike. Every single edge on my gun has been worn down to the bare metal, and the magwell looks halarous. There is no paint left to speak of in and around the magwell. Safe to say, I've pushed this gun to its structural limit.
Finally after 6 months exactly, down to the day, this thing broke on me. I was running reload drills, practicing magpul dynamics real time and trying to keep up with Chris Costa (not easy). I slammed the mag in and racked it hard, the ambidextrous safety exploaded, both sides flew off and another pin somewhere snapped, at the same time the mag release snapped and flew out. Those shattered parts went everywhere. I have no idea where most of them are.
I have gotten to know this pistol pretty well, when it was working fine the magazine seemed to be problem prone, so I can say that that is something that I did not cause with out a doubt. The recoil of the gun is good, about what you may find on like a .22 pistol. The spring behind the slide is good, not great.
All in all good build quality, the cast iron is pretty cheap, and I'm honestly surprised the fame itself didnt break before the ambidextrous safety and the mag release. All in all more than sufficient for an average airsofter. But dont expect this thing to really stand up to any sort of really rough use.
-Full metal (although it is a cheap cast iron)
-Easy to disassemble
-The metal is really cheap, surprised that it didnt break sooner
-May just be because of my misuse of the gas but it had a lot of problems
Rating: [2 of 5 Stars!]